Monday, August 9, 2010

Updating in the name of Consistency

So there's almost been nothing I found worth talking about recently. I'm not the one to put my life up here because honestly, it's not that interesting. Even I'm bored by it. But when recent events are boring too, I find myself in a truly monotonous world. Monotone, even.

Hm...maybe it's not all boring, there was the bedroom intruder song by (well he didn't really write it, but I'm giving him credit) Antoine Dodson that was absolutely hilarious in all it's different forms. But that was a while ago in internet time.

For anyone that doesn't already know about it, you should really check out Cracked.com, it's an almost constant source of entertainment based on real life things that you wouldn't believe if they hadn't backed most of it up with news sources and such.

There is one thing that I want to mention. The state of movies recently. The piece of garbage The Last Airbender was, along with the misleading hype surrounding the movie Salt and the overall lack of real summer blockbusters has led me to realize that our standards for movies are circling the drain. The Last Airbender shouldn't have made money, but it did, and that's everyone's fault. M. Night Shamalayan is now getting full control of a trilogy of what is guaranteed to be shitty movies. We only have ourselves to thank.

We're distracted by cool guys that don't look at explosions and 3d effects and beautifully rendered cgi. Meanwhile the plot, story, and acting among other things are borderline decent at best, and if it wasn't for the shiny cool things, the film probably wouldn't have done that well at all. In the end, I can't be that mad at Hollywood, they recognized they had a money maker in their hands and exploited it. The result was Transformers 2.

If people hadn't gone around watching these movies, guess what? We might have some quality movies that made us want to see them over and over, no matter how bad Christian Bale's voice was in The Dark Knight (and yes, I'd watch it again).

In Hollywood's defense, when you have movies like this on the horizon, I'm not ashamed to admit that I would go see it strictly for it's entertainment, but hopefully it surprises with a decent story as well.

Just think of what movies like this could accomplish if everything about it was good. But that's a whole other topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment