Friday, August 27, 2010

Avatar Has Irreparably Ruined Movies

I know I've made my hatred and disappointment in Avatar made known time and time again, but this is a completely different problem I have now. I haven't seen it in 3D, but I hear that it's so much better to watch in that way; and the fact that it's a mash up of Ferngully, Pocahontas, and Dances with Wolves is easily forgotten.

This is bullshit. But that's not the point.

The real crime that Avatar has committed is far worse than a mash up. It's started a wave of retarded 3D movies like Piranha, Step Up, The Last Airbender, Jackass, Clash of the Titans, and a whole slew of other movies all in 3D. The problem with this is that not one of these movies, with the exception of the Last Airbender (and not even for a good reason) wouldn't sell well in the theaters. Piranha and Step Up are almost definitely movies that could go straight to DVD and BluRay, and the other 3D movies are just not going to do as well as Avatar in justifying 5 extra dollars to see a couple letters or leaves pop out of the screen. But no one is gonna think about that when there's 3D involved.

So now movies that wouldn't get any attention, instantly get love because they'll be in 3D, and they don't even have to be good, which allows for everyone involved in the movie making process can get lazy and just tack on some 3D effects and call it a day. This is unacceptable. There have been shit movies out all summer and now, there are going to be shit 3D movies out for the rest of the year.

I don't mind 3D movies, I really don't, but I'm not going to help support the shitty 3D movies so that they can get better. Why don't we actually TRY and have some standards for our film going pleasures and see what happens? God forbid the movie industry gets wise and realizes that they can't make shit movies and expect us to sit there and take it.

TBC...

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same exact way about 3D. However, I really think it might just be a fad. Already, directors are making their comments about staying in 2D, an artistic choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope that this 3D deal is just a fad. It costs a lot of money to produce, but it also makes a lot of money. I'm cautious of whether or not some directors won't pick it up again once the technology catches up a little more.

    ReplyDelete