Friday, July 9, 2010

College Spending

Being a college student (still, unfortunately), I wonder about what it is that I pay for entirely. It can't all be just to learn, there are so many groups and events and societies that some of it has to go to them. Supposedly though, according to this article in the New York Times, colleges spend more money on recreation than education. For some reason, I'm not surprised. I've seen more groups and events and activities in the past couple years. I'm tired of hearing about homecoming and electing the new president of SGB, but I never thought about why that is, and now it dawns on me that they have the money to keep getting on my nerves.

With that thought, it's not so great that colleges are spending more money on recreation, but it's also a part of the college experience, maybe more than actually learning in some instances (it's all about networking nowadays). I'm a part of at least 2 groups that are benefiting from this kind of spending and I really wouldn't have it any other way, they enhance my college experience.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but I wonder if I would be smarter with more recreation, or more education? Who knows.

Comments, comments

No comments:

Post a Comment