Monday, July 12, 2010

The Boondocks on Prison

I'm a huge fan of The Boondocks. It tends to appeal to my more intelligent impulses while entertaining the fun zone of my brain, which may or may not have a majority vote in what I do. I'm not sure. A few weeks ago, there was an episode called "A Date with the Booty Warrior" and it obviously had me dying with laughter and even after I watched some scenes on YouTube until I saw something curious. There was a man named Fleece Johnson that it also claimed was the Booty Warrior.

So I click on it. To my sincere joy and horror, I find out that Fleece Johnson is the actual Booty Warrior. This was the man that the Booty Warrior in the show was modeled after. What's more, he's a direct representation. The line, "I'm gonna tell you what. I like ya, and I want ya. We can do this the easy way, or the hard way. The choice is yours." is straight out of his mouth verbatim.

Interestingly enough, this inspired a conversation between a friend and I about the reasoning behind homosexuality in prison. From her perspective, because it doesn't occur as an act of love or affection between two men, it's not real. In this instance, I'm agreeing with the Booty Warrior (I can't believe I just said that). You get a bunch of men that have sexual desires and no women and eventually someone will get it in their mind to go to another man to satisfy that desire. Usually without their consent. Do I agree that you should rape a man in prison? Hell no. The words "man" and "rape" should never come up in a conversation. Neither should "women" and "rape". But I digress. I understand how it can come to pass. Homosexuality in prisons is largely a situational behavior. If they had the option, I'm pretty sure they would not be looking to each other for sexual satisfaction.

Which brings me to another point. Prisons sometimes called Correctional Facilities, don't really appear to be facilitating any correction. If anything, they seem to create circumstances in which bad things can happen, or even worse, where nothing happens. We all know that prisons are over capacity, and it would make some sense to rehabilitate some of these convicts while it's a possibility before they become institutionalized and unable to be reabsorbed into society. Also, there's the added benefit of having room for people that need to be in there. I know there's a lot of them. I know that from the perspective of a victim, the last person you want to see doing better is the one that wronged you, but at some point, the idea that convicts should suffer forever has to be done away with, and they have to be able to live as law abiding citizens in order for prisons to function.

Comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment